Tuesday, October 20, 2009

An American or a chinese roommate.

If I can choose, and if I can only have 1 single roommate, then I prefer to have an American roommate, rather than a Chinese. It is because an American roommate can bring culture different and inspire new ideas. Although living with a roommate who has same culture is easy, because we share similar living style, it wasted a chance to learn something new. And most importantly, throughout my life, i probably will work and live with Chinese rather than American. So it is a very valuable time for having an American roommate.

As we know, every culture has advantages and disadvantages. In order to discover and improve our weakness, the best way to do is through comparison. I am a Chinese, who has a long history behind of me, while compare to an American, they hay rather short history. My long history background may possibly make me conservative, like obey authority, lack of innovations and not independent, while our American counterpart may be totally different. I believe living with an American will be a wonderful experience.

Nowadays, due to the economic bloom in china, many westerners proposed an imaginary threat from china. It is natural to be afraid in front of something unknown. So, I believe it is because we do not understand each other very well. The best way to know each other is living together. Therefore, having an American roommate is not a good for me to learn from American, but also the best way to let American learn from me. I believe through the culture exchange, both of us will learn a lot, and most importantly, friendship and trust and be found.

All in all, I will choose an American roommate rather than a Chinese. Not because I like the western style, but it is a good chance to let 2 cultures fusions together.

2 comments:

Bunmi said...

Hi, I come from a very strict Nigerian household. I am a freshman in college right now and it is now my second semester. My first roommate was a canadian girl,she lacked respect, she skipped class all the time, she was rude,just plain horrible, and she threw temper tantrums,I was very nice to her but i just got tired of it so I just ignored her. This semester I have a Chinese roommate from hong kong, she is very nice, thoughtful, respectful, she is the perfect roommate for me, because of her I have realized that nigerian culture and chinese culture are not very different. I think it is better if you find a roommate that has a simmilar background as you.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bunmi :)

i am sorry for your roommate. the reason i have this blog, is for preparing my TOEFL. :)

anyway, i like to experience different culture, just anything not from Chinese, i already lived with them for 20 years!